Update 2008/07/11 11:15PM : The deploy is complete. (Apologies this wasn’t posted at 11:15PM last night.)
Update 2008/07/11 08:45PM : The backwards roll to revert servers from version 1.23.0 to 1.22.4 has begun.
Update 2008/07/11 04:44PM : We have discovered a somewhat increased crash rate and a likely memory leak affecting some simulators in version 1.23.0. This has not yet had a widespread effect on the grid. However, if we leave it running, problems may compound. We will be reverting all regions on 1.23.0 to 1.22.4 in a rolling restart starting at 8PM tonight.
Update 2008/07/11 1:04PM : We have verified the fix on the Preview Grid. We will re-roll the hosts that were rolled this morning tonight (Friday night) starting at 8:00PM. This half of the roll will take ~3 hours, and will affect all regions on 1.23.0. Tomorrow morning, according to the original schedule, we will deploy 1.23.1 to all hosts currently on 1.22.4.
Update 2008/07/11 12:00PM: A bug (SVC-2633) was identified shortly after the roll completed. A fix has been made and has been deployed to the “Second Life Beta Server” channel of the Preview Grid for testing. The plan is to re-roll the regions with a “1.23.1” update as soon as the fix is verified and when we can be sure that the roll will not affect grid stability. Watch the Grid Status Updates feed for additional info.
Update 2008/07/11 07:48AM : The first-half rolling restart is complete.
Update 2008/07/11 05:16AM : The first-half rolling restart has begun. We are disabling the land store for the duration of this morning’s roll.
Update 2008/07/10 08:50PM : The pilot roll to 310 regions is done.
Update 2008/07/10 08:00PM : The pilot roll to 310 regions is beginning now. (The error with the central servers mentioned below by Joshua was fixed, and the central servers are all now running version 1.23.0.)
Update 2008/07/09 07:47PM : we are postponing the rolling restart again by a day. We may need to postpone it until next week; we will make that call tomorrow (Thursday). At the moment, the plan is to have the pilot roll Thursday evening, followed by half-grid rolls on Friday and Saturday morning. The schedule below has been updated to reflect this.
[FYI – The initial slip (Tue -> Wed) was due to a subtle bug discovered during internal testing that would have affected voice chat for a small fraction of residents – this was not caught during earlier testing or reported by Beta Server testers on the Preview Grid. The next slip (Wed->Thu) follows an initial roll-out of internal web service updates on Wednesday night – errors were detected during the roll-out, so the code was immediately rolled back, we are currently investigating the issues. — Joshua Linden]
Update 2008/07/08 03:56PM : we are slipping the rolling restart times by one day, so that the pilot roll will be Wednesday evening, and the full roll will be Thursday and Friday mornings. The schedule below has been updated to reflect this.
We will be deploying server version 1.23 to Second Life in a rolling restart next week, following the schedule:
- Tue, 07/08, Thu, 07/10, 7:30PM : a pilot roll to ~300 regions
- Wed, 07/09, Fri, 07/11, 5:00-9:00AM : a rolling restart of half the grid
- Thu, 07/10, Sat, 07/12, 5:00-9:00AM : a rolling restart of the rest of the grid
Each region will be down for about 10 minutes; regions will receive warnings starting 5 minutes before they are restarted. If your region stays down for more than 20 or 30 minutes, please contact support. There is no way to delay the restart of any given region. No client upgrades will be needed as a result of this rolling restart.
Please help us ensure this code is as bug-free as possible! Test this code on the Preview Grid.
The code to be deployed to Second Life is currently available on the “Second Life Beta Server” channel of the Preview Grid. If you wish to test the changes, and make sure that your objects or scripts work properly, follow the instructions for logging in to the Preview Grid. The new server version is 1.23, and is on regions in the “Second Life Beta Server” channel; other regions on the Preview Grid If you find any problems, first make sure that you are in fact testing the new version; the above-linked Wiki page on about the Preview Grid instructions for figuring out the channel of the version you are in. Please report any problems or issues you find using our Issue tracker. Report the issue as a Server issue (SVC), and tag it as an issue with version 1.23.
Below is a list of the changes that are introduced with this server version:
- New LSL call for count of agents in region: llGetRegionAgentCount() (Note: this will not be usable until the call is also supported in the viewer; it is expected to be included with the 1.21 viewer.)
- New LSL call to get user’s client language: llGetAgentLanguage(llDetectedKey(0))) (Note: this will not be usable until the call is also supported in the viewer; it is expected to be included with the 1.21 viewer.)
- Dynamic sound throttling. This is done differently from how it was done (and then removed) a few weeks ago. Test your content on the Preview Grid if you want to make sure this release doesn’t break it!
- Havok4 fixes:
- SVC-2485: Phantom Objects Collide with Virtual Prims in 1.22.2
- SVC-2484: llVolumeDetect() Fails to detect some avatars
- SVC-2448: llUnSit Attack/Bug
- MISC-1261: Sim crashes following unlinking of a group of overlapping individually scripted prims rotating with llTargetOmega.
- Fix to llSetLinkPrimitiveParams
- Toxic message alert (‘Unable to create item that has caused problems on this region) is now a script error and throttled
- Fix to XML parser to improve simulator performance
- Fixed: Sim crash by rezzing complex objects.
- Other Fixes:
- SVC-1507: Notices failing for larger groups
- SVC-216: New autoreturn email message shows incorrect region name & position
- VWR-4513: SL takes my money but doesn’t give me the service I paid for
- VWR-3729: Notices still received when “Receive Group Notices” is unchecked
- Fixed: LSL Changed event on region cross behaves poorly
- Fixed: Gestures deactivate when moving them between folders
- Havok4 fixes: