Today we are releasing a new Release Candidate, 1.20 RC11. If you have already been using the Release Candidate (RC10), you will be required to update to RC11 with the latest bug fixes. But the Release Candidate is always an optional series of viewers that you may choose not to use — or use side by side on your computer with the main viewer offered on our Downloads page.
This new, more robust Release Candidate (RC11) brings the total to some 39 fixes for crashes in the viewer since the start of this 1.20 cycle!
Many of you asked for the Dazzle theme to be optional, and we are glad to tell you we have rearranged our plans and resources to now work on just that. We had wanted to do theme switching originally, but had been focused on stability. We realize now we don’t want Residents to opt for the older viewer just to keep the classic look– where you would continue to suffer from bugs that have been fixed in the newer viewer. See the Update below!
This Release Candidate (RC11) has four new crash fixes and a solution to one major source of memory leaks. We also repaired the broken sounds on the Mac PowerPC. And we have fixed the UI layer from appearing in Snapshots on some systems. Thank you for your patience while we investigated these elusive bugs!
TIMELINE UPDATE: We are pleased at the progress from the Crash Hunters project so far… RC11 brings some firm gains in stability. Of course, we are always evaluating the best focus of our engineering for the viewer given your concerns about crashes, bug reports, and feature requests. Adding all the feedback to the mix, we have decided to extend the Release Candidate cycle FURTHER! We would now like to direct more development on the first stages of the Skinning project (this is the UI flexibility that brought a new Dazzle look to the viewer). To start, we are now developing a solution to VWR-5059 – “Ability to switch between the new/old theme” – and will ship that before finalizing the official Second Life Viewer 1.20. [EDIT TO CLARIFY 18:09 PDT]: VWR-5059 will be fixed in a future RC iteration, but it is not yet fixed in this RC11.
- Therefore, in the coming weeks please look for a couple other iterations of this Release Candidate, but perhaps not as frequently. We will deliver an RC12 and RC13 before finishing this 1.20 Release Candidate cycle. [EDIT TO CLARIFY 18:09 PDT]: As with other late-stage iterations, we will focus on Critical bug fixes and maintaining the stability of this viewer.
In the meantime, please download and try the freshly minted RC11 viewer. Continue to report any new issues in the Issue Tracker and be sure to set “Affects Version/s” to “1.20 Release Candidate”. Please visit the Test Viewers download page [NOTE: use the links at bottom of page, under Test Viewers/Release Candidate Viewers] to get started!
* Fixed: VWR-7730: Sound / UI Sound broken on Mac PPC RC 1.20.10
* Fixed: VWR-7614: Snapshots show user interface when “Show Interface In Snapshot” is un-checked
* Fixed: VWR-7679: Interface also shows in screen_last.bmp
* Fixed: VWR-2633: Some groups can’t be accessed from Communicate window and only show in profile
* Fixed: VWR-6889: Unable to leave group when role has no allowed abilities
* Fixed: VWR-5895: slowly rotating llTargetOmega child prims stop rotating when you move away
* Fixed: VWR-6828: Character > Show Look At / Show Point At don’t work
* Fixed: VWR-7682: Typo on Teleport Failure dialog
* Fixed: VWR-6800: Eliminate memory leaks in llcharacter/llmotioncontroller.cpp
* Fixed: VWR-2051: Regular viewer freezes since update to Voice viewer
* Fixed: VWR-5697: RC 1.19.1 crash on startup with Vista UAC enabled
* Fixed: VWR-7723: crash on LLImageGL::setSubImage line 780
* Fixed: crash on LLViewerImageList::removeImageFromList
* Fixed: crash on LLViewerImageList::updateImagesUpdateStats
* Fixed: crash when creating many default boxes
* Fixed: changing to and from Fullscreen view using Alt+Enter shortcut causes viewer to crash/hang
* Fixed: Load the initial avatar outfit earlier in the startup process to avoid Ruth effect at Orientation Island
* Fixed: Add the new TRANSPARENT_TEXTURE constant’s target texture to the inventory Library of 1.20
* Fixed: Search > Places tab results are displayed in white text
* Fixed: Media URL Set > Cancel button does not cancel
* Fixed: 1.20 viewer reports GeForce FX5200 card incorrectly
* Fixed: Viewer does not remember the last grid if last grid is AGNI
* Fixed: Cursor missing from search fields until after text has been manipulated
* Fixed: Fix the URL used by crash_logger for pre login crashes
* Fixed: The viewer’s crash logger needs to trim very long SecondLife.log files before sending.
* Fixed: VWR-7731: Bad Japanese translation of “Select tool”