We are releasing the next iteration of this Release Candidate (RC9), to solve further crash issues as well as some important functionality bug fixes that you identified in earlier Release Candidates (such as with Local Chat and Flexi prims). Thank you for the continued feedback, especially detailed notes in the Public Issue Tracker! There are some additional crashes (especially on the Mac PowerPC) that we continue to investigate, test, and hope to provide in a future iteration of the Release Candidate, coming soon.
Please visit the Test Viewers page to download the Second Life 1.20 RC9 Release Candidate viewer.
Note about changes to Search:
- We are continuing to iterate on our improvements to the Search feature. Thank you for your feedback! Although the release notes for 1.20 RC7 indicated that Search>Places was changed to use web-based search, this tab has been returned to its previous client interface, which includes “Sort by alphabetical” or “Sort by traffic” options. Please see VWR-7335 in the Issue Tracker for more information about this.
- The ongoing Search project does aim to transform more functionality to the web-based feature (as currently present in the Search>”All” tab). These plans included the switch from “Popular Places” to Showcase (as earlier announced here). We are continuing to research and discuss the future of traffic with the Resident community. Together we’re working toward an improved method of providing metrics both to land owners and to all Residents of Second Life.
IMPORTANT: Known Issues in RC9
- The Mac PowerPC will quit unexpectedly when trying to run this Release Candidate (RC9) viewer. This iteration RC9 will not be usable on the Mac PowerPC. We very much appreciate your patience in these last two iterations RC8 and RC9! This has turned out to be a complicated problem that we are actively tracking down. We hope to have this tested and resolved shortly in an upcoming iteration of the Release Candidate.
- As with RC8, in this viewer a rectangular block of “pixel static” is sometimes rendered nearby avatar impostors. We are testing this issue and expect to fix it in an upcoming version of the Release Candidate.
- The search results from Search>Places will show up in white text. We will resolve this issue in the next RC iteration.
- The Known issues from previous RC iterations with camera behavior using the SpaceNavigator in “Flycam” mode, as well as using the SpaceNavigator with Apple’s USB Mighty Mouse on Macs, continue in this Release Candidate.
As always, please continue to report any new issues in the Issue Tracker and be sure to set “Affects Version/s” to “1.20 Release Candidate.”
* Fixed: VWR-7335: Revert to non-HTML search for Search>Places in 1.20
* Fixed: VWR-7322: Chatter’s name is not beside chatter’s text in Communicate Local Chat (when ‘Show Timestamps in chat’ is unchecked)
* Fixed: VWR-7342: Linux 1.20(7) libexpat.so.1 not found, exit on load
* Fixed: VWR-6948: Flexi prims are rendered differently in 1.20 – breaks products
* Fixed: VWR-6107: When uploading animations the Ruth model appears dimly lit and unshaded
* Fixed: VWR-2679: Joystick flycam breaks after switch to fullscreen mode
* Fixed: VWR-1352: A strange copy operation of LLStyle
* Fixed: VWR-6244: Building outlines get dissorted/out of position by one frame when moving the object with SpaceNavigator
* Fixed: VWR-6016: FMOD problem: update3dPosition error
* Fixed: VWR-7234: llcommon/files.lst has two entries for lllog.cpp
* Fixed: Pasting multiline clipboard content into chat loses newlines
* Fixed: RC7 doesnt show the release candidate login screen
* Fixed: RC7 grid selection doesn’t persist
* Fixed: Change Linux viewer default compiler from gcc3.4 to gcc4.1
* Fixed: crash in LLFolderViewFolder::setSelection
* Fixed: crash on LLSurface::resolvePatchRegion()
* Fixed: crash on LLViewerRegion::setCapability
* Fixed: Infinite loop in wearables (LLWearableList::processGetAssetReply) causes a crash
* Fixed: Critical message window should not say “Critical message” because it is the Community Standards document
* Fixed: Remove First Use dialogs for sitting and movement key binding during Orientation Island
* Fixed: Default the mini-map to off for new users
* Fixed: Text on Send button for Group IM is right-justified
* Fixed: Region/Estate> Estate tab has a misaligned outline on Estate Managers box
* Fixed: Parcel tag overlaps image on Sell Land floater if longer than 36 characters
* Fixed: Increase thread monitoring mainloop timeout from 10 sec to 20 seconds
* Fixed: Additional thread monitoring tweaks, added a timer to confirm if the watching thread has been hung
* Fixed: Minor bugfixes to thread monitoring during crashes, purgeAllTextures, and the user setting whether to submit crash reports
* Fixed: option to Send Crash Report is not persisting
* Partial Fix: VWR-1715: Macintosh cyclic short-term freezing of display, getting worse over time; does not respond to commands, eventually change of POV causes crash
* Fixed: Added new translation strings for German, Korean, Japanese
Reminder: Release Candidate viewers are optional viewers that contain the latest round of bug fixes in the upcoming next version of the Second Life viewer. If you have been using the 1.20 (RC8), you will be required to update that installation to this latest version (RC9). But the Release Candidate is always an optional version that you may choose not to use — or better– to have installed side by side on your computer with the main viewer offered on our Downloads page or http://get.secondlife.com.