[EDITED: 2008-05-23 11:00am PST] The Release Notes of RC7 below have been clarified slightly.
[UPDATE: 2008-05-22 10:15am PST] With the misbehavior of thread monitoring being more widespread than anticipated, as well as problems buying Linden Dollars and/or Land, we have withdrawn RC7 viewer for more tweaking. The (RC7) viewer will prompt you to download the previous (RC6). You can also obtain the download at the Test Viewers page.
* * *
[UPDATE: 2008-05-21 11:10pm PST] Thanks for the quick feedback on the new Thread monitoring (introduced below). Some Residents have noticed its behavior seems over-aggressive in RC7, especially when just logging into Second Life and/or on Macs, where delays of 10 seconds or greater are expected. We are investigating this issue for finer tuning. There is more useful information at the issue report VWR-7329.
* * *
When you last saw our Release Candidate in the previous iteration, we were tightening the gates for only last “critical” fixes, and hoping to have our last candidate then. In the intervening week, however, we just did not make enough progress on the stability of this viewer (as seen from all the great Crash Reports you send us — keep them coming!) …As mentioned before, the unusual number of iterations on the 1.20 RC cycle has been our conscious attempt to find as many viewer crashes as possible. We really want to increase the stability of the next viewer you use to explore and enjoy Second Life.
So… we’re back with Release Candidate (RC7), and we’ve brought in more crash-hunting code. More on that below.
But when we picked up this code, we brought along a bunch of tested *HOT* bugfixes (based on your comments and Issue Tracker) that our developers have been working on. So we’re bringing them to you too: bugs like VWR-2778 with invisible system skirt textures, VWR-2404 on lossless texture compression, VWR-5807’s wild rotations of linkset, and VWR-6056 problems viewing Animations on upload.
We’ve also brought along some minor UI projects that were ready for release: such as a new way to stop naked Ruthed avatars with a more comfortable “cloud.” You’ll find more web-based tabs in the Search feature: for Places, Showcase, and Groups. And directly interacting with a muted resident will now unmute them for you (with a note in chat telling you what just happened).
The big news on crashing is that the Release Candidate now monitors when your viewer locks up, and after frozen *too long* will force a clean, detailed report of the event as a crash. We never received such complete information before on freezes- so please send those crash reports our way! We want to take the coming week to continue attacking the causes of crashes and lockups… so look for an even more stable RC8 from the feedback we get.
Please visit the Test Viewers page now to download the Second Life 1.20 (RC7) Release Candidate viewer. The full notes are below!
Reminder: Release Candidate viewers are optional viewers that contain the latest round of bug fixes in the upcoming next version of the Second Life viewer. If you have been using the 1.20 (RC6), you will be required to update that installation to this latest version (RC7). But the Release Candidate is always an optional version that you may choose not to use –or better– to have installed side by side on your computer with the main viewer offered on our Downloads page or http://get.secondlife.com.
IMPORTANT: Known Issues with (RC7):
- In RC7, the Hover Tips on objects inworld show a single garbage character for the ‘For Sale:’ Amount. This will be fixed in an upcoming version of the Release Candidate. This means objects may “appear” to indicate in the hover tip as if they are for sale at L$0 to L$9, or even nonsensically as L$d or L$g. In reality the object could be any price– so please verify an object’s price when paying, regardless of its Hover Tip.
- In RC7, a rectangular block of “pixel static” is sometimes rendered nearby avatar impostors. We are investigating this issue and expect to fix it in an upcoming version of the Release Candidate.
- The Known Issues from previous RC iterations with camera behavior using the SpaceNavigator in “Flycam” mode, as well as using the SpaceNavigator with Apple’s USB Mighty Mouse on Macs, continue in this Release Candidate RC7.
As always, please continue to report any new issues in the Issue Tracker and be sure to set “Affects Version/s” to “1.20 Release Candidate“.
New features and changes:
Thread monitoring to catch freezes:
- A new thread monitor (also referred to as a Watchdog) will detect when the viewer application freezes for a period greater than 10 seconds and will force a crash with detailed logs
- Thread monitoring can be disabled by choosing to never report crashes, or with a command line setting:
--set WatchdogEnabled 0
Resident names are interactive in Chat/IM:
- [EDITED 2008-05-21 18:41] Clicking on resident names in Local Chat or a Group IM will open their Profile page
Added four texture constants to reference in llSetLinkTexture:
- TEXTURE_BLANK is the non-transparent blank texture, equivalent to “5748decc-f629-461c-9a36-a35a221fe21f”
- TEXTURE_DEFAULT is the default Media texture, equivalent to “8b5fec65-8d8d-9dc5-cda8-8fdf2716e361”
- TEXTURE_PLYWOOD is the plywood texture, equivalent to “89556747-24cb-43ed-920b-47caed15465f”
- TEXTURE_TRANSPARENT is the default “white transparent” texture, equivalent to “59facb66-4a72-40a2-815c-7d9b42c56f60”
- Note: Scripts using these constants will run smoothly in all Second Life viewers, however previous versions of the viewer will NOT be able to edit and recompile scripts using the new constants. Older versions (1.19.1 and below) will report “(XX,YY) : ERROR : Name not defined within scope” when trying to compile such a script.
Improved internationalization support:
- Make ‘System Default’ language option work on Linux and Windows.
- Make unicode system font support good on Linux
Improvements to Search:
- Search > Popular Places is replaced by a Search > Showcase tab that points to the website Showcase
- Search > Places, and Search > Groups use web-based search
- Classified ads have a drop-down menu to indicate Mature or Not Mature content
Other UI changes:
- Moved “Set Window Size” options from File menu into Preferences > Graphics
- Newly created avatars without a gender, or any avatar where “clothing is still downloading” are rendered as a cloud rather than naked/wrong body shape
- Directly interacting with a muted resident will unmute them, with a note logged in the Chat history (VWR-1735)
- Fly button is now shown as disabled when you are sitting
- Pasting multiline clipboard content into Chat will show a Paragraph symbol at newlines (Partial Fix behavior)
- Group Info > Notices tab explains the storage limits of 200 notices and 14 days
- Added OpenGL monitoring via Advanced menu > Rendering > Debug GL option to turn on extra rendering error checking and help reproduce crashes
- Added beta support for basic voice lipsync for voice visualization (VWR-4794) via Advanced menu > Character
- [EDITED 2008-05-23 11:00] The ‘camera shutter’ soundclip/animation plays whenever a new image is acquired by Snapshot Preview (this camera shutter sound indicates, like a real camera, that you have taken a new picture of the world). The sound does not play repeatedly if auto-snapshot is on
- [EDITED 2008-05-23 11:00] Disabled the Snapshot Preview > Auto-snapshot checkbox, unless Freeze Frame checkbox is set. (This clarifies that Auto-snapshot previously only worked in this case.)
* VWR-4794: Basic voice lipsync for voice visualization
* VWR-4204: Clicking on names in Chat/Group IM history should open Profile page or IM
* VWR-463: Blank is a pre-defined texture in client, but not in LSL
* Updated library version for openssl
* Added thread monitoring to the viewer
* Added a setting switch to completely disable thread monitoring
* New users are shown as a cloud rather than naked until they choose a gender.
* Move “Set Window Size” options from File menu into Preferences > Graphics
* Make clothing-still-downloading dialog into an ignorable alert dialog
* Internationalize additional hard-coded viewer strings to a strings.xml file
* Search > Popular Places is replaced by a Search > Showcase tab that points to the website Showcase
* Convert Search > Places tab to use HTML search
* Convert Search > Group tab to use HTML search
* Search: Require Mature/Not Mature in Classifieds
* Make strict GL debugging toggleable on-the-fly via Advanced menu > Rendering > Debug GL option – turns on extra rendering error checking and help reproduce crashes
* [EDITED 2008-05-23 11:00] The ‘camera shutter’ soundclip/animation plays whenever a new image is acquired by Snapshot Preview, but not repeatedly if auto-snapshot is on
* [EDITED 2008-05-23 11:00] Disabled the Snapshot Preview > Auto-snapshot checkbox, unless Freeze Frame checkbox is set
* Fixed: VWR-104: Unused class LLVertexProgramGL should be removed
* Fixed: VWR-2778: System skirt textures turn invisible on wearing
* Fixed: VWR-2272: Fly button doesn’t work while sitting
* Fixed: VWR-2404: Lossless texture compression on small textures is not lossless
* Fixed: VWR-5807: Wild rotations of linkset while using the editor in Local Ruler Mode via CTRL key
* Fixed: VWR-6056: Animation viewer does not play animations on upload.
* Fixed: VWR-6399: llMapDestination should still show teleport map — Teleport / Map screen changes in 1.20 RC0 need to be undone
* Fixed: VWR-4860: WindLight: Planar texturing renders incorrectly in 1.19.0 (79674)
* Fixed: VWR-5963: LLImageGL::setClamp may affect random texture (making repeating textures on objects non-repeating)
* Fixed: VWR-7061: Trivial UI grammar error in the title of the “Script Warning/Error” window
* Fixed: VWR-6186: Second Life is leaking Objective-C objects at startup
* Fixed: VWR-3598: Non-group owned objects appear to belong to the group of the last selected object, no matter the owner/group.
* Fixed: SVC-1241: Dead code in lscript_execute.cpp
* Fixed: VWR-4057: Multi-line chat display bug – first character in line missing
* Fixed: VWR-3857: Script (LSL) editor shows non Latin 1 characters as square boxes
* Fixed: VWR-2275: Linux 1.18.3 Won’t Link
* Fixed: VWR-3813: gtk_check_version() API changed to return const gchar * – causes gcc ERROR
* Fixed: VWR-1735: Directly interacting with a muted resident should unmute them
* Fixed: VWR-2142: Parcel voice icon doesn’t reflect disabled status if voice isn’t used
* Fixed: VWR-5853: Double-Clicking on vertical edge of Inventory/Gesture window destroys the floating window.
* Fixed: VWR-2448: Snapshot Preview tool should respect ‘Quiet Snapshots to Disk’
* Fixed: llrender.cpp export
* Fixed: Clean up log messages in viewer to make crash logs more readable and useful
* Fixed: Create URL to open my groups panel
* Fixed: Create URL to open create groups dialog
* Fixed: Display a message if LLWebBrowserCtrl blocks a url
* Fixed: Abstract common glTexParameter calls
* Fixed: Orientation Island HUD select language texture is wrong for English version in 1.20
* Fixed: Double-clicking border of communicate window makes window unrecoverable
* Fixed: Command line parser bug parsing “–multiple true” at beginning of a command line.
* Fixed: –loginuri is not being handled correctly
* Fixed: Grid selection drop-down on login screen does not take priority over -loginuri when selection is first opened
* Fixed: crash in LLMediaImplQuickTime::load
* Fixed: crash on LLViewerParcelMedia::update
* Fixed: Pop-up menu width should try to accomodate the longest menu item (within reason)
* Fixed: Can’t change values with debug settings floater
* Fixed: Focus > Zoom button can’t be re-selected
* Fixed: Debug Permissions displays overlap
* Fixed: Objects with no group tagging show group tags of previously clicked items
* Fixed: stop bundling libexpat with the linux viewer
* Fixed: World Map’s keyboard focus that jumps from Landmarks to Teleport is broken in 1.20
* Fixed: text results for Search > People is displayed as white text
* Partial Fix: Pasting multiline clipboard content into chat loses newlines. (This will be more fully fixed in an upcoming version of the RC.)
* Fixed: VWR-7168: A typo in base (en-us) version of mime_types.xml
* Fixed: VWR-7153: An typo in en-us version of alerts.xml file makes an <ignore> text of unlocalizable
* Fixed: VWR-7087: Japanese “About Second Life…” file includes an invalid UTF-8 character
Additional localizations to German, Korean and Japanese for new UI strings in this viewer are coming in an upcoming version of the Release Candidate.