Yes, that’s right, we’re on the 5th iteration of the 1.20 Release Candidate viewer! We increased the frequency of RC releases in an effort to aggressively resolve crashes and reduce the overall viewer crash rate. Steve Linden outlined these plans here in the Viewer Crash Hunters project.
The good news is we’ve been able to find and fix a number of crashes, but the down side is that this has been a rather rocky road for the 1.20 Release Candidate. (It is only in these later iterations that we are approaching a viewer ready to be the real “candidate.”) We will work on refining the release process and do better to keep you all informed about where we are and where we’re headed. We really value your feedback and appreciate your time finding and reporting issues back to us.
Please remember that Release Candidate viewers contain the latest round of bug fixes and/or soon-to-be-released new features and can be installed side by side with the primary viewer. Please try the RC viewers only if you want to participate in the bug reporting process and identify issues before they become the default viewer.
So on to RC5!
Second Life 1.20 RC5 fixes even more crashes and includes some other really important fixes (read: no more black water!) Please visit the test software page to download the Second Life 1.20 (RC5) Release Candidate viewer.
* Rename link to “Forgot your name or password?” on client login
* Allow the background color for Inventory treeview control to be set in colors_base.xml
* Added nVidia MCP78 to gpu table
* Fixed: VWR-6674: Basic shaders setting causes world (or sea) to go black
* Fixed: VWR-6402: llTargetOmega resets prim to ZERO_ROTATION
* Fixed: VWR-1843: Inappropriate to offer a default folder name with non-ASCII characters for Make Outfit
* Fixed: VWR-5869: Broken BVH Animation upload causes dialog / interface error, and crash
* Fixed: VWR-6668: Eliminate inconsistent help text for Preferences > Graphics panel
* Fixed: VWR-6603: Immediate crash when upload image .jpg
* Fixed: VWR-6343: 1.20 causes fatal driver instability with some nVidia drivers
* Fixed: VWR-6368: Camera reset when build floater closes
* Fixed: crash from glMapBuffer returning 0
* Fixed: crash in LLVOVolume::sculpt – newview/llvovolume.cpp
* Fixed: crash in LLFace::renderSelected.
* Fixed: crash in LLImageRaw::copyLineScaled
* Fixed: crash in LLImageBase::generateMip
* Fixed: crash after quitting to desktop on Mac
* Fixed: 1.20 consistently crashing with ctrl-alt-T in ReleaseNoOpt
* Fixed: text colors for Script Errors/Warnings are illegible
* Fixed: Primary clicks toggle flycam with Mighty Mouse
* Fixed: Voice waves render choppy
* Fixed: Multi-prim attachments appear to be exploded when worn.
* Fixed: Added new translation strings for German, Korean, Japanese
* Fixed: put cleanly-formed Portuguese files (Beta) back into the viewer
* Partial Fix: VWR-6608: Revert Japanese and Korean translations of Joystick Monitor, due to monospace font which cannot display them
* There are known truncation issues in German, Korean and Japanese strings, which should be fixed in the Final Candidate
* VWR-6896: Crash when using Advanced >Rendering > Info Displays > Lights selected (and other Info Displays)
* Crash when using Advanced >Character > Show Collision Plane
* A black border appears if you have Basic Shaders enabled (Preferences > Graphics) AND have set the Advanced debug setting RenderGlow = true
* Camera is placed underworld if you edit terrain in flycam mode with a 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator
Please continue to report any new issues in the Issue Tracker and be sure to set “Affects Version/s” to “1.20 Release Candidate“.