We’ve been getting a lot of questions about how to use the Graphics Preferences and what all those options do! Related, some compatibility issues are alleviated by clicking the “Custom” checkbox and disabling specific options. As witnessed in Pastrami’s 1.19.1 viewer post and the subsequent comments, it’d be most helpful to have more explanation. So today’s tip is ALL ABOUT THAT!
Here’s an index of this very special ~half-hour programme:
- 00:23 – Opening the Graphics Preferences
- 01:11 – Exploring Custom options
- 02:05 – What are shaders, shiny, & bump mapping?
- 05:11 – Water Reflections
- 08:04 – Draw Distance
- 08:47 – Max. Particle Count
- 09:11 – Post Process Quality (Glow)
- 10:00 – Mesh Detail sliders
- 15:58 – Using local lights
- 17:37 – Hardware Skinning & Avatar Cloth
- 19:21 – Customization tips ‘n’ tricks
- 19:56 – Hardware Options featuring antialiasing!
- 23:44 – Avatar Impostors boost performance
- 26:34 – YOU HAVE THE POWER!
- This video tutorial was filmed in 1.20 RC, hence the different “Dazzle” colors — if you’re on 1.19.1, most of the stuff works the same with the notable exceptions of Antialiasing and Statistics Bar’s appearance. And yeah, I know how crashy the Release Candidate is for some of you… that’s why I crashed in the middle of making it! 😦 We hope to have those kinks fixed soon; I don’t just feel your pain, I live it — and the same is true for the joys you experience.
- Re: Anisotropic Filtering, since it was hard to get a pristine image due to video compression, click to enlarge this and pay attention to the crispness of textures at angles (big image, give it some time to load):
- Trivia: About 2 years ago before we had a fine Documentation Team (Jon, Jeremy, & Kate who do the Knowledge Base Article of the Week), I wrote & edited the early Graphics Preferences article. And here I am doing a video… I love a good followup.
- For tech details on some of the above features, check out the Team WindLight podcast.
Coming up next: SPACENAVIGATOR (3d mouse) video tutorials!