Amidst the storms, we carry on — and the watermelon guru has returned to bring you… yes, that’s right, more video tutorials (AKA screencasts) to help you learn Second Life! And if there’s a particular theme for this one, it’s things that make you go:
“I wish I knew that when I started my Second Life!”
Wishes do come true.
QUICKTIPS “Volume 4″ Video Tutorials! Your knowledge in 2 min. or less, guaranteed! Click a title to watch:
- Avatar mouse steering – Drive safely, pilot your avie with ease.
- Copy Selection – Copying objects with “Center Copy” and “Rotate Copy” assists you in aligning builds precisely. Learn more.
- Focus – An essential part of understanding our viewer’s user interface.
- Fun with floating text – Simple scripting lets you make words appear above a prim. More info. Learn more.
- Hiding groups you belong to – A nice little privacy option for those times you’d rather not be known as a member of [CENSORED].
- Hiding objects temporarily – Ever wanted to take a snapshot of beautiful scenery but an eyesore was in the way? Conceal it!
- How old is an object? – Use the object inspector buried in the pie menu and find out! Bonus points if you dig up something from 2002 or older.
- Planar texture mapping – How’s it different from “Default” and what uses does it have? Learn more.
- Reference ruler & grid – An object can be used as a baseline for measurement when building.
- Retrieving lost attachments – I show you a workaround to “unbury” attachments lost inside your avatar.
- Saving objects back to your inventory – No need to clutter your Inventory with revisions… directly replace the older version!
- Shift-drag to copy objects – If you know this “OMG IT SHOULD BE MORE OBVIOUS” feature already, you’re smiling! And if you don’t, I’m here for ya. 🙂
- Teleport location history – You need our recent Second Life 1.19.1 for this.
- You can’t remove body parts! – But you can change them with other body parts. Macabre ghoulishness? Nah, just avatar customization.
There’re so many people — Linden Lab employees & Residents in our community alike — I need to thank for the continuing growth of this series. Many of you, I’ve already said “Thanx!” to personally. Others, I give you shoutouts in my videos. (I like to mix it up, I used to be a DJ.) I need to give a special thanks to Ideia Boa for translating the Video Tutorials listing page into Portuguese… and the thanx therefore continues!
- It tells me you found them useful — your support shows exactly why I should make more!
- It boosts our YouTube ranking, which makes Second Life video help easier for other people to find.
- Comments on specific videos help me prioritize followup. If you want more video tutorials about a specific topic, comment on that vid! And I do appreciate comments here, but commenting directly on YouTube is way easier to look at per-video.
Thanks graciously again. There’s more video tutorials to come and inspire your awesomeness!
I make stuff for you to enjoy.