Friendly greetings! You’ve spoken, and I’ve responded… yes, YOU CAN HAS VOICE CHAT VIDEO TUTORIALS!
These teach you how to communicate using your live voice in Second Life. And there’s not just 1, or 2… but 7 tutorials, each covering a specific area made easy!
Now, before you get started, you’ll need a headset or equivalent device. These are pretty common and fairly affordable; we have options — and if you’re curious, I personally use Sony MDR-V900s + a cheapo Logitech mic, or the more common Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000.
It’s time to enjoy!
- Getting started – Using the setup wizard, step-by-step.
- Etiquette – Don’t talk while eating! I show you why “push-to-talk” matters.
- Who’s speaking? – Active Speakers window can tell you.
- Improving your hearing – Voice can be heard from either camera or avatar position. With my lovely wife as my special helper, I demo the difference.
- Private calls – How to exit public voice chat and be discreet.
- Speech gestures – You can animate your avatar while speaking.
- Disabling it for yourself & on land – For those times you may want it off… and restricting voice to a parcel.
(I filmed these in the 1.19.1 Release Candidate viewer, so if you’re wondering why some things look different, download it to match!)
Supplemental help in our Knowledge Base: “How to Use Voice“, the “Voice FAQ“, and “How can I minimize background noise in voice chat?“
Watch for another memorable round of video QUICKTIPS next week (see previous episodes), where I’ll teach you better ways of doing common tasks, how to handle annoyances, and ultimately… help you live a happier, more fun Second Life.