Work proceeds apace on the Bay City regions as LDPW Moles build their little hearts out and we expect to be nearing completion by month’s end. So far they’ve show themselves to be as industrious, professional and fun loving as any insectivore you’re likely to meet and the content being created is certainly on pace to set the standard in these new urban spaces.
Thoughts on scripting:
— Bay City has a couple of major scripting requirements, drawbridges and the trolleys. The physical trolleys will run at a fixed height, and at a fixed north-south distance in each Region they’re in — thus they should move pretty smoothly over Region boundaries. Scripting will deal with starting and stopping at drawbridges, stops, and the ends of the line. Drawbridges are pretty much “door” scripts, but we want some “coordinated” activity of various objects when bridges go up or down, and some limits or pauses to prevent malicious “flapping” of the city’s bridges. Some of the bridges will be “paired” (two-leaf) bascule bridges; and we may try to have coordinated light signals or such … maybe.
Suggested organizations in Bay City (not to be taken too seriously):
- The Hippos Clubs International: meeting at the diner and attempting to emulate the hippopotamus
- The Sim Scouts: earning badges in texturing, scripting, building, searching and Region navigation
- Prim Rotation International: members, known as “primates”, seek goodwill and peace on the Grid
- “Fighting Moles” primball team: undefeated in Second Life! The annual calendar depicting the “Bay City Sows” cheerleaders is found in infohubs all about Bay City.
- We’ve posted a few pictures of progress on the “Bay City” regions at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Department_of_Public_Works_scrapbook
- The “big chunk of voids” for the southern continent is pretty much ready. Once it’s slotted in, our staff will fly around and adjust the edges a bit (trying to avoid any hideously out-of-level Region borders). For the moment, a nominal volcano is sitting on the Island, percolating away … expect something more curious to appear there at some point.
Please remember to visit the wiki page (https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Department_of_Public_Works) for more info on Bay City, to learn how to apply for LDPW (go moles!) and to find out how you can contribute your thoughts and ideas!