Second Life 1.18.6 Viewer Release Candidate (RC4) is now available for download. Please go to the test software page to download and try these pre-production viewers. (Note: This is not an update to the WindLight First Look viewer.)
The new login UI and server infrastructure is taking longer to stabilize than anticipated. In order to keep releases coming, we have decided to revert back to our old login code/system. We plan to resume work on the new login system in the future, but in order to move on as efficiently/smoothly as possible, after Second Life Viewer Release Candidate 1.18.6 RC4 there will be no production viewer based on the 1.18.6 codebase – instead, we’ll switch efforts to our 1.19.0 version of the viewer (in development now) which includes all of the other changes/fixes that were in the 1.18.6 viewer plus more. There will be an open source 1.18.6 RC4 code drop today as well.
We are releasing the RC4 update (viewer and source) even though it does not reflect an actual “release candidate” to give the community the most up-to-date and stable viewer code to experiment with, as there are many other fixes included beyond the login system.
REMINDER: Release Candidates (RC) are intended for evaluation purposes. Please try them out only if you want to participate in the bug reporting process and identify issues before these become the default viewer. You can have both a Release Candidate and a production viewer installed on your computer at the same time, so if issues are encountered when testing an RC you can switch back to the production viewer.
This update (RC4) includes the following fixes and source changes:
- VWR-2574: Non-default sound devices for voice can’t be used in Vista
- This appears to be a Vista issue not a Second Life issue.
- Fix German translation of the “Release Keys” tab
- Crash on login page when using Logitech LCD Keyboard
- Connect button doesn’t enable
- Language names need to have a consistent format in preferences drop-down
- QuickTime disabled message cannot be ignored
- Linux client doesn’t recognise that a viewer is already running
- Display HTML error page in selected language when viewer is unable to connect to second life URL
- SVC-1125: New Search: Beacons aren’t shown when teleporting to regions with “Allow Direct Teleport” disabled
- VWR-3948: Underlayers no longer removable by pie menu in Windlight, release candidates
- VWR-3667;About Land > Access: On group owned land, group owner gets eject message when “Public Access” is unchecked
- VWR-3829: Cursor in Logon edit boxes difficult to see
- VWR-3501: Create/Edit Gesture window preview button blanks after pressing
- VWR-4010: New search does not accept non ASCII characters
- VWR-3748: Builds fail on 1.18.6 RC if not using MOZLIB due to miss
- Fix for viewer_manifest.py for 64-bit builds
Login issues aside, finding and reporting issues in this version is still critical to continuing to improve the viewer. Please continue to report any new issues in the Issue Tracker and be sure to set “Affects Version/s” to “1.18.6 Release Candidate“. Your participation is welcome at our weekly (Mondays @ 12pm PST and Wednesdays @ 3pm PST time) inworld bug triages, too!
We will be integrating all relevant 1.18.6 fixes into our 1.19 codebase and moving ahead. Expect a first Second Life 1.19.0 Viewer Release Candidate (RC0) in approximately 2 weeks.