Hey all. So I’ve gathered the results from the last WindLight Survey. Before I jump into the results themselves, however, I wanted to address one of the biggest issues that it raised: that of survey thoroughness. Many people loved the survey, but many also felt it was too broad and didn’t allow for enough depth (for example- coloration issues at sunset, not just brightness). Read on for my rationale and what the survey means for the future of WL…
So… the survey was originally meant as a quick gut-check as I was tweaking settings to see what people thought. However, as some may recall, the original was limited to only 100 responders and was thus not as wide as you would have liked. I promised to re-open it with unlimited responses. By the time that was done, however, I think the survey took on more significance than it was originally intended to have, and people were expecting a much more thorough analysis of the system.
It has basically highlighted a singular fact in my mind, and I think the only real answer to “more depth” to the questions- the power should be yours. As I pored through the results, many of them very vocal and some quite opposing to one another in taste, it was so blatantly obvious that full functionality of this tool is the only answer- estate controllability and settings-as-assets. Now, this is no great revelation, as both are and have been very much on our roadmap. But looking at the varied responses, it further underscored to me how much you guys are artists, and how much you truly should be given control of your world.
So, the real answer is not that Sunset should be more orange, or nighttime needs to be a hair lighter- it’s that you need your tools! Given WindLight’s radical nature in overhauling the system, we had to introduce it client-side only at first. But once that’s bulletproofed to a sufficient level, you better believe the server aspects are coming next.
That said, we’re still working our heinies off to make the defaults pretty!
And so, without further ado, here are the results, courtesy of 874 residents!
1. Compared to the older presets, in what direction do you think the default/midday settings should be taken?
- Eliminate all directional lighting and overbrightening- very close to the “classic” look 8.8% 77 votes
- It’s still not like the old Second Life – make it a bit flatter/more neutral 18.3% 160 votes
- It’s perfect just where it is! 33.5% 293 votes
- It could use a *tad* more contrast/shadowing 31.1% 272 votes
- Bring back the former preset- lots of light, lots of shadow! 8.2% 72 votes
2. What do you think of the current sunrise setting?
- Too dark 15.1% 132 votes
- Just right 72.8% 636 votes
- Too bright 12.1% 106 votes
3. What do you think of the current sunset setting?
- Too dark 20.6% 180 votes
- Just right 69.9% 611 votes
- Too bright 9.5% 83 votes
4. What do you think of the current nighttime settings?
- Too dark 19.8% 173 votes
- Just right 57.9% 506 votes
- Too bright 22.3% 195 votes
5. What do you think of the *strength* of local lighting? (Note: The local lighting, at present, fades as the sunlight gets brighter.)
- Too dark 30.3% 265 votes
- Just right 58.0% 507 votes
- Too bright 11.7% 102 votes
6. Overall, how would you rank the aesthetics of the WindLight viewer compared to the non-WindLight viewer?
- I much prefer the old look 2.6% 23 votes
- I somewhat prefer the old look 2.6% 23 votes
- I think they’re about equal 3.7% 32 votes
- I think WindLight looks better for some things 34.8% 304 votes
- I think WindLight looks phenomenal! 56.3% 492 votes
Thanks again to those who participated, and stay tuned for more enhancements and an ever-prettier world!
– Pastrami and the WindLight Team