The Second Life 1.18.5 Viewer is now available. Again, with your help reporting issues in the Issue Tracker and participation in public bug triages, we were able to find and fix bugs in the Release Candidate viewer before making it the latest download. Thanks for your help improving the viewer!
You can download the new Second Life viewer at the Community: Downloads page.
- New inworld search via the ‘All’ tab
- Includes improved search functionality on land parcels, profiles, groups, wiki documents, events, classifieds, and some individual objects
- Classifieds are returned both within and next to search results
- Search box added to upper-right corner of window; replaces old meters
- SLurls with 3 slashes (secondlife:///app….) are now highlighted in the text window
- UI elements placement/sizing updated to accommodate localized versions of Second Life viewer
- Korean text displays correctly on Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5)
- Permissions dialogs are now throttled to avoid griefing
- Public source bundle not getting all ares libs
- VWR-2959: Windows (Visual Studio) solution file refers to a non-existing project “build_all”
- VWR-2551: Error in macview.xcodeproj — invalid dependencies
- VWR-2856: libs package missing c-ares
- VWR-3073: Right-clicking someone’s attachments to view profile loads (???) (???) instead
- VWR-592: crash in LLTemplateMessageBuilder::addString
- VWR-2826: Several problems on handling Japanese input (and possiblly Chinese/Korean also)
- VWR-2834: Builds fail on 184.108.40.206 with no mozlib
- VWR-2030: Avatar only turns half-way in Appearance Mode
- VWR-2803: Lag Meter network ping metric doesn’t account for residents outside the USA
- VWR-3311: Web UI elements’ focus rectangle are offset from their displayed position
Keep reading for more information on the New Search.
Key Features of the New Search
As many of you read in previous blog posts, Linden Lab is excited to announce that with today’s Release, you will see several changes to both the search website and client that improve search.
First, you may notice the blurb about Search being “in beta” as we wanted to clarify that the new search is a work in progress. The new search is primarily web based, which means we can respond more quickly and without having to require a new download for some changes and improvements.
The New Search is Inclusive
The new “All” tab includes Land parcels, Residents profile, Groups, Second Life wiki articles, Events, and some individual Objects present on public parcels.
The New Search is Relevant
Better search relevancy for the new search based on how well the page matches the query, how close the multiple words are together, and how many inbound links there are to the page.
The New Search is Private
Objects, land parcels, groups, and resident profiles all have a consistent “Show in Search” checkbox to include them in the new search. Resident profiles are included by default. We set “show in search” to on for all for-sale objects once when 1.18.4 was released. Going forward all objects, land, and groups are opt-in.
Please note it may take between 1-3 days for changes to be reflected in the search results.
Classifieds are in More Places
Classified ads are returned both inline (as with the current “All” tab) and also alongside relevant search results.
Since this is a work a progress, we’d love to hear from you! Please send any feedback you have to email@example.com – we will be reading all of the feedback, although we may not respond to each inquiry. Thank you for your support, feedback and thoughts as we continue to develop and refine the new search.
Want to Learn More?
- Have more questions? Please check out the complete Search FAQ in the Second Life Knowledge Base.
- Want to learn more about the design and development process at Linden Lab? Download and listen to the first ever Second Life Podcast focused on Search (in MP3 format).
- Need tips on searching? Don’t miss Torley’s great Tip of the Week Video on search (more great video tips from coming soon!).