I make my video tutorials candid and upfront, and for the most part, they’re unscripted and quite improvisatory, with brief notes written down in a .txt file. I show Second Life as it is. Most of the content is directly inspired by everyday issues I’ve come across, as you’ve likely too, and I mix the more common knowhow with esoteric tidbits.
Today’s Second Life Tip of the Week — #8! — is all about how to handle everyday annoyances that tick us off. It includes:
- How to stop “triangles coming out of stuff!” (If you’ve seen it, you may very well know what I mean.)
- How to stop animations
- How to turn off foot shadows
- How to mute sounds
- How to stop viewer-side effects on your objects (like particles and floating text)
What are other annoyances you’d like to see dealt with? Even in the absence of an effective fix (which I’m constantly advocating for), a workaround can help alleviate “ambient suffering”, as I like to call it. I’m sure this is a fertile ground for followup.
And because no good teacher is an island, I extend thank-yous and admiration to:
- Vlad Bjornson, who recently started doing video tutorials, including sculpties.
- Amras Alder, for continuing to create great vidtuts — see his latest, “IM Window Tricks“!
- A growing field of Resident video tutorial makers, some of who’ve organized on sites like SLTutorials.net.
- Douglas Story, for the “Swoosh,Soaring” sound effect I use @ 3:00 min.
- YOU, for watching and hopefully getting something positive out of it!
Do you make video tutorials or have faves? Please be sure to add them to our Video Tutorials page so they’ll get a wider audience of people who’ll be appreciative of the time you took to teach.
Torley Linden is a Product Manager & more who regularly contributes to the Official Linden Blog. Watch more Tips of the Week. Torley is working on communicating the NEW “DAZZLE” LOOK AND FEEL of Second Life!