Some of you might have been surprised to find your account “on hold” on occasion. We do this to help minimize the risk to your account if there are signs that it may have been exposed to fraudulent activity. In this latest of a series of posts on safeguarding your account, we’ll walk you through the what, why and how of held accounts.
Why is my account held?
- Someone may have phished or stolen your account.
- One or more of your transactions may involve fraudulent Lindens. You should be aware that there are other exchanges for L$ that are not affiliated with Linden Lab in any way. We have no control over these exchanges and are not responsible for their activities.
- Delinquent account or Terms of Service violations. Account delinquency or violations of Terms of Service may also cause your account to become inaccessible. To correct this, contact billing or support via the Support Portal.
What are the next steps?
- Go to the Second Life website.
- Go to the Support page.
- Login to the Support Portal. (If you cannot log into your account, use our Guest Access Log In.)
- Submit a Ticket.
- In the Ticket Type Field, select “Special Questions – Basic Account or Guest Login” from the drop down menu.
- Then select “ My account has been shut off and I don’t know why”.
- Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
- Copy the Tracking Number for your new ticket.
What happens next?
- You will receive an email containing your ticket information.
- Linden Lab will investigate the transaction that led to placing your account on hold.
- Once we have concluded the investigation, we will send you an email explaining our conclusion and explaining the action that will be taken with respect to your account. As a reminder, all transactions involving $L are subject to Linden’s Terms of Service (TOS)
As always, be wise about the security of your account information and take steps to protect yourself.