On June 14, we posted about creating Strong Passwords. If you haven’t yet reconsidered your password, do it now. This will help reduce your risk of the subject of today’s post—being phished.
Phishers, as defined by wikipedia,
“attempt to fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Phishing is typically carried out by email or instant messaging, and often directs users to give details at a website, although phone contact has been used as well.
How do you know if your account may be compromised?
- If you can’t access your account
- If you suddenly notice a reduced available balance on the payment source you have on file.
What should you do?
Here are the steps:
- Login to your account.
- Login to the Support Portal.
- If you cannot log into your account, use our Guest Access Log In.
- Submit a Ticket
- In the Ticket Type Field, select “Special Questions – Basic Account or Guest Login” from the drop down menu
- Then select “ My account has been shut off and I don’t know why”
- Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
- Copy the Tracking Number for your new ticket
- You will receive an email containing your ticket information.
- Call the Fraud number: 800-860-6990
How will Linden Lab resolve your compromised account?
First, Linden Lab will place your account on hold, and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days in some cases. Once we have finished the investigation, we will send you an email explaining our conclusion and explaining the action that will be taken with respect to your account. As a reminder, all transactions involving $L are subject to Linden’s Terms of Service (TOS)
[Update] Thanks for the comments–some needed clarifications. Here’s the connection between phishing and safeguarding your account, on two fronts.
Message: Don’t re-use your SL password on other sites.
Message: Do not give your password to ANYONE…a friend, a partner or a Linden.
Other Resources to Help Safeguard Your Account
Know any other helpful anti-phishing sites and strategies? Help your fellow Residents and add your recommendations to the comments below.