[UPDATED on 2007-06-26 @ 12:31 pm: We’ve been busy addressing login issues and the crash-on-edit problem (now fixed internally!) so the rolling restart originally planned for today has been cancelled. Tomorrow’s planned release of Second Life 1.18 will pick up all of the previously announced fixes and crash-on-edit fix.]
[UPDATED on 2007-06-25 @ 4:46 pm: Optional viewers are now available. The rolling restart is planned for tomorrow (Tuesday) morning.]
[UPDATED on 2007-06-25 @ 12:09 pm: Optional viewers will be available today, but rolling restart appears headed for first thing Tuesday morning.]
Happy Friday all! We know that you aren’t fans of Friday releases — and neither are we — so we’ll be making an optional viewer, Second Life 1.17.1, available and doing a rolling restart on Monday, June 25th.
We’ve got a lot of bug fixes coming your way — some big, some small, but important to make available to you nonetheless! Many thanks to our open source contributors.
Full release notes will be available soon, but key fixes include…
[UPDATED 5:00pm: More complete – but still tentative – release notes are added below]
- VWR-364: Viewer memory leak
- SVC-242: Copyable objects are not appearing in inventory after being taken, are remaining, invisible, in world
- “Stop All Animations” doesn’t work when stuck in a pose after teleporting
- VWR-42: llSetSoundQueueing() is broken
- VWR-79: PNG image support submission
- VWR-227: If a Find/Search returns no results, the results list is still focused and an attempt is made to select the first result anyway.
- VWR-650: Make “Give money” permissions look different than the other permissions
- MISC-217: Accounts with negative L$ balance can’t buy L$0 freebies
- VWR-660: When turning off Flexible Object rendering, flexible objects become permanently invisible
- VWR-1223: Camera Controls keyboard shortcuts broke
- VWR-1203: Avatars eyes are constantly crossing in 1.17
Please note: We’re planning to release Second Life 1.18 on Wednesday, June 27th, which means there’ll be a mandatory viewer update and server-side update incorporating these fixes, as well as forward-looking protocol changes that’ve been mentioned previously on this blog.
Why are you releasing an optional viewer followed by a required viewer only a few days later?
To get fixes out as quickly as possible, and to make sure that the required release’s downtime is optimally lightweight. It’ll still take time, but the number of incremental changes will be smaller so the risk is reduced.
Have a great weekend!
[UPDATE: Here are the full-but-tentative release notes for 1.17.1]
Release Notes for Second Life 1.17.1(0) June 22, 2007
* VWR-650: Make “Give money” permissions look different than the other permissions
* VWR-427: Added new menu item: Tools > Edit Linked Parts
* VWR-79: PNG image support submission
* Sculpties now include a one-time explanation the first time a sculptie is created.
* Client and Server menus now have a one-time dialog box to explain what they are.
* “Skip ‘Show next time’ Dialogs…” button added to Preferences > Popups tab to skip all one time dialog boxes.
* F1 help now opens an external browser to the Second Life support web site.
* Estate owners can now postpone a region restart for one hour.
* Delay added to folder opening while dragging items in an inventory window with a vertical scroll bar.
* Default messages for postcards are replaced when adding text.
* In the Inventory window the Filter menu is consolidated into the File menu.
* The sculptie texture picker UI has changed to differentiate it from the surface texture picker.
* Added support for alternate sculptie edge stitching.
* VWR-68: LSL constant expression folding and proper constant parsing
* Fixed MISC-217: Accounts with negative L$ balance can’t buy L$0 freebie
* Fixed SVC-306: Objects are visible at <0,0,0> (sometimes before moving to their correct position)
* Fixed VWR-1296: Minor memory leak in lltexturecache.cpp
* Fixed VWR-1223: Camera Controls keyboard shortcuts broke
* Fixed VWR-1221: Possible crash in llfloaterland.cpp / line 1556
* Fixed VWR-1217: Built-in avatar animations stop suddenly, rather than fading out. (jerky head movement)
* Fixed VWR-1203: Avatars eyes are constantly crossing in 1.17
* Fixed VWR-1170: LLMuteList::loadFromFile() improperly parses the mute list returned from the service
* Fixed VWR-1140: About Land floater is not resizable, ban and access lists too small
* Fixed VWR-1049: Trivial sizeof() miscalculatuion results in incomplete copying of CPU Brand ID string in CProcessor::AnalyzeAMDProcessor()
* Fixed VWR-1044: Unchecking “Go Away/AFK When Idle” doesn’t work when manually setting Away status
* Fixed VWR-944: Boost inclusion is inconsistent
* Fixed VWR-941: Reading length data for a four-byte Variable template message misstores the length
* Fixed VWR-938: ELFIO is technically optional, make this easy to capitalise on
* Fixed VWR-876: sculpt texture map does not load or low priority when the texture itself is not visible in viewer frame or not cached
* Fixed VWR-873: Dead members “eVertexDataMask;” in various objects
* Fixed VWR-856: llvfs.cpp: possible loss of memory blocks in LLVFS:audit()
* Fixed VWR-822: “Create new…” clothing buttons don’t auto-wear items
* Fixed VWR-796: llStopSound() not working
* Fixed VWR-746: Incorrect menu item referred to when member of maximum number of groups and a group invite is received
* Fixed VWR-660: When turning off Flexible Object rendering, flexible objects become permanently invisible
* Fixed VWR-652: A harmless compiler warning in indra.l.cpp
* Fixed VWR-606: Some source files (llprocessor.cpp and llsdserialize_tut.cpp) contain non-ASCII characters
* Fixed VWR-597: Abuse report tool should autofill abuser name when reporting an object
* Fixed VWR-560: Crash in llscrolllistctl.cpp when sorting scroll list
* Fixed VWR-459: Unicode supplementary characters typed in from keybaord are not handled properly on Windows (and potentially on Linux)
* Fixed VWR-446: Automatically start renaming new user-created assets and automatically select new user-created folders
* Fixed VWR-383: Chat logs do not have timestamps
* Fixed VWR-287: Inconsistent behaviour between agent_slide_left / agent_slide_right, and the rest of the movement functions.
* Fixed VWR-251: Keystrokes are eaten by IME when no text input is possible, on Windows using Japanese
* Fixed VWR-248: Inexplicable folding of Avatars such that they are walking around with their heads up their arses
* Fixed VWR-247: Viewer generates undesired dialog when IM comes in while minimized
* Fixed VWR-227: If a Find/Search returns no results, the results list is still focused and an attempt is made to select the first result anyway.
* Fixed VWR-218: SConstruct script makes many assumptions that are invalid outside LL
* Fixed VWR-213: Calling DestroyWindow with NULL window handle (win32 version)
* Fixed VWR-207: Textures become increasingly blurry over time on systems with > ~2GB RAM
* Fixed VWR-143: Compiler errors in llwebbrowserctrl.h
* Fixed VWR-132: seg fault in lldrawpool.cpp
* Fixed VWR-119: Zero missing in Sub-unit snap grid. for small fraction like 1/16 and 1/32
* Fixed VWR-101: Get rid of “Return All”
* Fixed Inventory’s “Recent Items” tab settings not persisting across logins
* Fixed line breaks showing up as * in various windows.